Design Issues: DISPLAY

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Mar 10 20:06:32 UTC 2003

Alan, aside from the points made by Dean, I'd suggest you take a look
at the various implementations of ioShowDisplay() as found in
{get the source from SourceForge}/platforms....
Mac OS/vm/sqMacWindow.c
RiscOS/vm/sqRPCWindows.c
unix/vm/sqXwindow.c
win32/vm/sqWin32Window.c

They all have to do assorted platform specific gymnastics with the
Dispaly bitmap to get it to the glass. Further, I think at least two
people have expanded on the framebuffer display work I did years ago for
the Itsy - you'd have to search the list archives though.

You _could_ consider using the SurfacePlugin interface as another
approach.

tim
PS If you really, really need to use little-endian bitmaps, it is
possible but involves a lot of changes to BitBlt, assorted image changes
and a large bottle of aspirin.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes.  - Jackson