I want to document but I need to learn first!

Brent Vukmer bvukmer at blackboard.com
Tue Mar 11 14:31:55 UTC 2003

> Our previous plans to make a kind of "superhypercard" and then get version 2 of etoys from
> that much more  comprehensive design did not work out at Disney, and it wasn't until recently
> that we've been able to get that plan going again. I think this is more like the system you want, and
> you'll have a chance to try it out this summer .

The super-HyperCard and etoys 2.0 sound really cool based on what you've said.  I'm just curious -- who's doing this development?  Will there be a Squeakland update stream that interested folks can point their images at?

[ cool story about working in current eToys environment ]

[ *really* cool description of eToys scripts ]

Will your design diagrams and/or scripts for the projects you described, be available online somewhere?

I went to the Squeakland mail archive and read the post that listed those project ideas ( http://squeakland.org/listarchive/squeakland/msg00523.html ). In that email you said something about "hints and project books".  Are "project books" done in Squeak project form, or written up on the Squeakland swiki?

> I think that quite a bit of success for different kinds of people is the match up between types of
> thinking, types of motivation, and the kinds of materials and scaffolding available. Some teachers have
> been amazingly successful with our inadequate documentation and others have been less successful that one
> would expect, given the amount of documentaiton that is there. Many children who like to explore and don't
> want to read documentation have done even better. Some children are quite stumped without explicit help
> (but that's what teachers are supposed to be for.)

I think that I'm definitely one of the folks that is quite stumped without explicit help. It seems like the whole eToys / direct-manipulation thing has got to really "click" for someone; maybe it's a ca

> But the clear lesson is that we need to provide enough coverage for a wide range of styles of learning. Please continue to > be interested and to help.

Thanks for the lengthy email!  Very helpful.