I want to document but I need to learn first!

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Tue Mar 11 15:19:00 UTC 2003

Well, we don't want a "truly hypercard compatible system". Hypercard
was wonderful for what it got right and slammed the door in your face
with the many things that needed to be better. It's an inspiration to
do a 21st century version of what it was trying to do, and to do it
in a better way. BTW, there is very little that Hypercard could do
functionally that hasn't been in Squeak for many years (much more
extension of function). The trick is partly to wind up with a simple
powerful comprehensive model -- and this is very difficult. I shall
never forget the factor of 20 or so difference in the resources
needed to invent Hypercard, and what was required to package it for
its 4 million or so endusers. However, we are going to take another
run at the fence with a release of some quite new stuff for people to
pound on this summer.

Cheers,

Alan