Teaching Image

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Tue Mar 11 15:55:36 UTC 2003

With all of the discussion of Documentation and Teaching of Squeak, I
had this thought. I don't know if it had been expressed before, so I
thought I would toss it out into the forum. :)

As Squeak gets refactored and get broken down into its various parts it
would be nice to see something along the lines of a Squeak Teaching Image.
Kernel -> Core -> Teaching Image

People could use the 'base', 'kitchensink' (or whatever name) image for
browsing, exploring and plain having fun. But it would be nice for
teaching or learning purposes if there were an image or a package on SM
for creating such an environment. This environment could be tightly
focused on teaching/learning Squeak.

Once someone has mastered or at least reached a sufficient level of
competence in the Teaching/Learning environment they could proceed to
take those skills into the larger areas of Squeak.

Maybe there could be an area on SqueakMap for such endeavors?

It would be nice also to see some of the SqueakLand, Etoys,
SuperHyperCard, etc. packaged up for SM.

Just some thoughts, just in case its a slow day on the list. ;)

Jimmie Houchin