Hypercard

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Tue Mar 11 16:42:19 UTC 2003

David --

At 8:53 AM -0700 3/11/03, David Farber wrote:
>Alan -
>
>You wrote:
>>I shall never forget the factor of 20 or so difference in the
>>resources needed to invent Hypercard, and what was required to package
>>it for its 4 million or so endusers.
>
>Would you mind elaborating on this a little bit? You seem to be
>implying that there was something intrinsic to Hypercard that made
>the 20x difference unavoidable.

Not at all. It took Bill Atkinson and a few people a few years to do
Hypercard. It took many dozens to hundreds of people about as long to
document it, package it, support it, etc. I think this is quite
normal. E.g. Much of Squeak was done by 5 people in a few years and
look how much work, how many books, etc., have already been expended
to not yet even document it, let alone package it.

Cheers,

Alan