A sort-of status report, and a newbie cry for help.

Andrew Berg andrew_c_berg at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 19:59:21 UTC 2003

I recently downloaded the latest Squeak 3.4.1 image and VM for windows, and
installed onto my laptop, which is a 1GHz Pentium IIIm with Windows XP and
512MB of ram.  I only mention that because from the time that I double-
click my shortcut to 'squeak.exe squeak.image' to the time that I see a
window appear it seems to vary from 1 to 3 minutes, and once up the mouse
moves very slowly and jerkily across it, and windows do not drag around
smoothly, etc.  From my experience with a much less capable Linux box at
work, it should be much faster than that, so I think that something is
wrong.

Forging on, I installed the SqueakMap package browser (I forget exactly
how, but it seemed straightforward enough from the root menu) (SqueakMap is
super swank, by the way) and tried to install Comanche and Seaside.  It
downloaded a 'kom.sar' (which starts with 'PK' so I trust it to be a
renamed .zip file) and a 'Seaside2.21.cs.gz' (which is binary but does not
start with 'gz' like I would have expectd), but did not seem to have
installed them.  No error message or anything, just I don't see any shiny
new classes to look at and poke around.  When I repeat this experiment with
the Linux computer I have at work, it seems to work fine.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and my newbie cry for help:  I want to build a simplish UI onto some
classes that I've built.  From my lurking on this list for the last few
months (man, that is a lot of reading!) it appears that MorphicWrappers is
the thing to use.  However, I seem to be suffering from a lack of
creativity or something, because it is not clear from the classes that were
installed (on the Linux box at work, nothing on my laptop but the
downloaded file) how to go about using it.  Can someone point me toward a
project I could install that uses MorphicWrappers, or better some little
supply of sample code?

Many thanks,

-andrew

andrew_c_berg at yahoo.com