A sort-of status report, and a newbie cry for help.

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Mar 12 20:26:20 UTC 2003

Andrew Berg <andrew_c_berg at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I recently downloaded the latest Squeak 3.4.1 image and VM for windows, and
> installed onto my laptop, which is a 1GHz Pentium IIIm with Windows XP and
> 512MB of ram.  I only mention that because from the time that I double-
> click my shortcut to 'squeak.exe squeak.image' to the time that I see a
> window appear it seems to vary from 1 to 3 minutes, and once up the mouse

What?! On my XP laptop 3.4 comes up in about 3 seconds. Its an Athlon
1.4Ghz with 256Mb.

> moves very slowly and jerkily across it, and windows do not drag around
> smoothly, etc.  From my experience with a much less capable Linux box at
> work, it should be much faster than that, so I think that something is
> wrong.
>
> Forging on, I installed the SqueakMap package browser (I forget exactly
> how, but it seemed straightforward enough from the root menu) (SqueakMap is

You probably just selected "open->Package loader" or something. That
should do it.

> super swank, by the way) and tried to install Comanche and Seaside.  It
> downloaded a 'kom.sar' (which starts with 'PK' so I trust it to be a
> renamed .zip file) and a 'Seaside2.21.cs.gz' (which is binary but does not
> start with 'gz' like I would have expectd), but did not seem to have
> installed them.  No error message or anything, just I don't see any shiny
> new classes to look at and poke around.  When I repeat this experiment with
> the Linux computer I have at work, it seems to work fine.

Hmmm. You simply selected "install" in the menu? And no errors or
anything?
Creepy. ;-) But the files are now on your harddisk right? That would
mean the download worked at least.

> Any suggestions?

Eh, I need more info I think. You could also try stepping through a DoIt
that does the same, this way you should be able to see what goes wrong:

SMSqueakMap default installPackageNamed: 'Comanche';
installPackageNamed: 'Seaside'

I just tested the above DoIt in my 3.4 - it downloaded, started "loading
into changeset yaddayadda" for both Comanche and Seaside. And now I have
Comanche 5.1.1 and Seaside 2.21 installed according to my package
loader. So it should work. :-)

regards, Göran