A sort-of status report, and a newbie cry for help.

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Wed Mar 12 20:50:30 UTC 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:59:21 -0800, Andrew Berg <andrew_c_berg at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I recently downloaded the latest Squeak 3.4.1 image and VM for windows, and
> installed onto my laptop, which is a 1GHz Pentium IIIm with Windows XP and
> 512MB of ram.  I only mention that because from the time that I double-
> click my shortcut to 'squeak.exe squeak.image' to the time that I see a
> window appear it seems to vary from 1 to 3 minutes

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 which is a 1 GHz PIII running XP, and I have
512 MB of RAM.

A virgin Squeak 3.4 gamma one image takes less than 1 second to start up on
this machine...

Interestingly, my default printer is a printer installed on my wife's
machine, and I am on a network at work right now, so that printer is
completely unavailable. I am using the old 3.4 VM that does not have the
patch Andreas mentioned.

Later,
Jon