Freeing Squeak (license-wise)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Mar 13 12:03:33 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 11:28, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
> I could imagine that lawyers from Apple or Disney
> probably preceive this differently.

I think it is relatively simple to get the rest of the community going,
yes. And I don't know what the lawyers from Apple and/or Disney
perceive, nor do I care. What lawyers perceive (sorry, Andrew) is
secondary and always subject to negotiation. The really important
showstopper thing is whether Apple and Disney are willing to negotiate
*at all*. Not the lawyers, but the decision makers.

Until we have that showstopper cleared, spending time on any other task
related to the project is a potential complete wasted effort. As a
project manager, I usually try to clear such issues before burning money
(or, worse, volunteer time) on stuff dependent on showstoppers.

I'll contact the guy at Apple around the end of March. Someone should
contact Disney and start feeling around there as well. By the time we
have these two parties at the negotiating table (and I'm not holding my
breath at all - in fact, I think it's a futile exercise but at least we
need to be able to say "we tried"), we can spawn out and perform
parallel activities that might help oil negotiations.

Some compared my pushing for the removal of Apple fonts to running
around and collecting signatures. This is not a perfect analogy for
several reasons:
- Removing the Apple fonts and replacing them with 'mainstream' fonts
has additional benefits;
- I perceived that to be a crucial issue for Apple, protective as they
are of their 'IP' (quoted because I find the word an ugly contradiction
in terms).
- The amount of work involved is much lower (I could do it in two hours
- hunting down all contributors, drawing up contracts, deciding on a new
license they would release to, deciding on a legal entity to release to,
etcetera is several orders of magnitude more work).

Anyway, just my two eurocents...