Article about "The Post-OOP Paradigm"

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Thu Mar 13 13:08:36 UTC 2003

>> ". . . although I don't know why "Post-OOP" because I think that it is an
enhancement of the OOP itself."

Marco;

The article's title is perhaps a bit unfortunate; the "Post-OOP Paradigm,"
according to the article, "do[es] not aim to supplant object-oriented
programming [but to] refine or improve or reinvigorate it."  Post-OOP, in
the author's sense, appears to mean "now that OOP is recognized as the
baseline," not "in place of" but "built upon."

As for "AspectJ" and "Aspect Oriented Programming," those are given as "a
case in point," an example of applying a Post-OOP paradigm but by no means
the only choice(s).  More relevant, I think, are the references to the
Pattern Language concept and to XP/extreme programming, both of which are
well suited to (and perhaps in some ways dependant upon) OOP.  In reading
the article, it struck me that the author seemed to have a hazy perception
of something in the distance very similar to portions of Squeak and Croquet.
In other words, the world is once again running in a breathless effort to
catch up with Alan Kay and those fortunate enough to work with him
(including this list).

Gary Fisher