Squeak Modularized (formally Re: Teaching Image)

Alexandre Bergel bergel at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Mar 13 14:06:31 UTC 2003

> The paper was very interesting.  I'll try to find some time to program with classboxes.

Thanks.

> A couple of questions:
>
> How does this programming model interact with traits, both from the point of view
> of the programmer/user, and the implementor?

Traits and Classbox are orthogonal. Even if we are in the same office Nathanael and I, we didn't try yet to combine our work mainly because my Classbox implementation is not finish yet. Within the next month it will be our goal to make it.

> What is the performance penalty associated with the more complicated method lookup
> scheme?  I realize that this is a complicated question that depends on the code
> (eg: slower if you have to traverse up a bunch of superclasses, checking all
> the nested classboxes for each superclass).  Nevertheless, I'd be interested to
> hear your opinions on performance.
>
> Related to the last question, I assume that once the method is found the first time,
> it can be cached in a PIC and accessed just as fast as in regular Squeak, right?

You are right, the cache still work with the new method lookup. I didn't made some serious bench, but I am quite confident.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Bergel Alexandre  http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~bergel