Probably a silly question with regard to PluggableListMorphs

Stef Telford stef at chronozon.artofdns.com
Fri Mar 14 16:56:12 UTC 2003

Hello everyone,
	Recently (about a year ago) i tried squeak, and was
very enthusiastic about it. I could see the power behind it
but, alas, the underlying paradigm escaped me (or rather the
integration with Morphic and Smalltalk escaped me). I found
it very hard to find good 'examples' in the System Browser.
Thankfully, this is being solved piece by piece (already I
can find -some- examples as opposed to almost none previously)
so kudos on this. I feel its really a step in the 'right' direction

	Now, all that being said, i am having a bit of a problem
understanding how to get a PluggableListMorph to send out to a
Transcript window whenever its selected. I thought that this would
have been under the PluggableListMorphs 'events' in the System
Browser as something called 'onChange:' or such. Perhaps naive
but, this is probably a 'paradigm' problem.

	I even can figure out 'what' i think the code should be
(in my eyes or mind). something like:
				target: Transcript;
                                actionSelector: #show: ;
                                arguments: { 'you
clicked"',selection,'"' } ).

	however, where would this go into the small piece of code
that I have in my workspace, and also as important is, how did you
get to this result (perhaps thats a very subjective question) ?

	mywin:= NewWorldWindow new setLabel: 'Squeak Test';
        borderColor: Color blue;
        addMorph: (PluggableListMorph new list: #('Hello' 'There');
                        extent: 200 at 200;
                        autoDeselect: false)
        frame: (0 at 0 corner: 1 at 0.5);
        openInWorld.

	I know that I should use Objects, however this is jst to
help me play around with squeak. I really do feel somewhat semantically
'closer' to getting squeak 'clicking' in my head. I am also keeping
a track of things that i 'learn' in squeak, so that in the future,
perhaps it will help someone make the 'connection'

Happy squeaking and many thanks
Stef Telford <stef at chronozon.artofdns.com>