Freeing Squeak (license-wise)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Mar 13 19:04:39 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 14:56, Alan Kay wrote:
> I don't think that you have a good model here of how things work. I
> think Andrew would agree if I called the US a "litigous society"
> (people like to sue each other and do), so almost anything is
> actionable regardless of any logic or prior art or agreements.

Oh, I *know* that - that's one of the reasons why I don't travel to the
US anymore.

Personally, I'm not at risk. I live in a country with a working legal
system. And I really cannot imagine that either company would attempt to
suppress distribution of Squeak (although, Disney is capable of
everything...).

But what else can we do? Keep explaining that Squeak is under some
fringe license for the rest of our lives? Accepting that it will never
be a part of Debian and similar distributions (like the SchoolForge
distribution)?