Freeing Squeak (license-wise)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Mar 13 19:13:21 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 17:42, Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) wrote:
> They can say, "Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  Upon further
> review we've concluded that there's a possibility that someone somewhere
> might use Squeak to do something bad, so upon the advice of counsel we're
> revoking the Squeak license in order to limit our liability.  Shut down your
> servers and delete all Squeak-related files.  And have a nice day".

Telling people to do something is one thing. Enforcing this is another
thing. I have a nice collection of US company cease&desist letters I
never even bothered to respond to :-).

But if we think something like this is at risk, I'll be more than happy
to put up a distribution site on my connectivity ISP, XS4ALL.NL. They
pass cease&desist letters on to their legal department, and if it is not
clearly illegal, they refuse to take stuff down and will defend that
position in court (at the moment, they're having fun with Scientology
over a user's website).