Article about "The Post-OOP Paradigm"

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Mar 13 21:10:50 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 22:05, Jack Johnson wrote:
> The CLI vs. GUI dichotomy that seems so prevalent in discussions like
> these becomes something of a non-issue when you start talking about
> modal vs. non-modal interaction (something rarely seen in commercial
> software).  There is plenty of frontier left in GUI research that is not
> necessarily devoted to 3D information space, and plenty of good research
> gone to pasture that has not been widely implemented (am I the only one
> here using pie menus?).

I've read a paper from Sunlabs a couple of years ago, about the 'event
horizon interface' - looked really neat, and was implemented on a Palm
device. Talk about new UI research.

Then, I read a couple of weeks/months ago a paper on an exciting new UI
paradigm - command-line assisted GUI's. The paper went on describing
exactly the kind of interface that Emacs and VI people have come to
love.

Yes, there's a lot to do before we need 3D. And I think there's a lot 3D
(hardware) to do before it'll become more useful than 2D interfaces (for
starters, it should be immersive I think).