Article about "The Post-OOP Paradigm"

Brian T Rice water at tunes.org
Thu Mar 13 21:20:30 UTC 2003

On 13 Mar 2003, Cees de Groot wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 22:05, Jack Johnson wrote:
> > The CLI vs. GUI dichotomy that seems so prevalent in discussions like
> > these becomes something of a non-issue when you start talking about
> > modal vs. non-modal interaction (something rarely seen in commercial
> > software).  There is plenty of frontier left in GUI research that is not
> > necessarily devoted to 3D information space, and plenty of good research
> > gone to pasture that has not been widely implemented (am I the only one
> > here using pie menus?).
>
> Then, I read a couple of weeks/months ago a paper on an exciting new UI
> paradigm - command-line assisted GUI's. The paper went on describing
> exactly the kind of interface that Emacs and VI people have come to
> love.

There's a short explanation I wrote on the concepts of the CLIM interface
architecture (the basis for the Lisp machine interface) on our Wiki:
http://cliki.tunes.org/CLIM

This architecture represents the best integration of CLI and GUI that I've
ever seen, and nothing else comes close, not even Raskin's latest attempts
with his Humane Environment. What needs to change however, is the total
lack of awareness about it, to avoid re-inventing the concepts too poorly.

It's not perfect, but it answers this issue squarely rather than with
oblique metaphors, and is most importantly /old/: every concept in it was
matured by 1990 or thereabouts. We should be doing better, and it's no
coincidence that I am working on folding together the CLIM and Morphic
concepts into one architecture in Slate.

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development
mailto:water at tunes.org