A sort-of status report, and a newbie cry for help.

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 14 06:50:28 UTC 2003

I tracked the (15 second) delay to

sqWin32Service.c::sqServiceMain()

in the call to:
   StartServiceCtrlDispatcher(dispatchTable)

This attempts to start squeak as a service. From  a comment in WinMain:

 /* Find out if we're running from a service.
     That's a bit tricky since there is no difference between
     usual startup and service startup. We do two assumptions here:
     1) If we're NOT running on NT we can't be service
     2) If there is a command line we can't be service
     Still, there is a chance that a user just double clicks on
     the Squeak executable in NT. Therefore we _try_ to connect
     to the service control manager in the sqServiceMain function.
     If this fails, we try the usual startup. It might take a bit
     longer than the normal startup but this only happens if there
     is no image name given - and that's not our fault. Anyways,
     if somebody out there knows how to find out when we're starting
     as a service - LET ME KNOW!
  */

I don't know

The call really shouldn't block so long anyway - let's ask Microsoft to fix
it! Just kidding.

Eddie