Article about "The Post-OOP Paradigm"

Jeffrey T. Read bitwize at snet.net
Fri Mar 14 11:53:27 UTC 2003

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 09:17:36AM +0100, Marco Paga wrote:

> You didn't got my point. Let's assume that the human mind thinks with objects.
> So it would be the most natural way to use 3D objects to represent this.
> When we use objects in Smalltalk these objects come closer to our mind because
> it is more the way we think then writing bytes in an register.

I think that it is important to not generalize about the way "the human mind" thinks. What I have found is that different human minds think differently, especially on the higher end of the intelligence spectrum where all the good programmers are. Hence, some people think verbally, in terms of words; other people think visually, in terms of pictures. From this duality arise the perennial CLI-vs.-GUI flamewars on Usenet. Maybe with enough Zen meditation we can perceive The Oneness of Everything, and thus transcend objects altogether. (I could be wrong, but I think there are some really adept LISP hackers who have done this. :))

--
Jeff Read <bitwize at snet.net>
If God wrote in LISP code, then Jesus wrote in