Freeing Squeak (license-wise)

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Fri Mar 14 16:18:56 UTC 2003

Now you are closer to my sentiments ...

I do think that the concept of IP (for software at least -- any many
other areas as well) has completely broken down. This has never
bothered me since I've never wanted to own anything or make money by
selling stuff I claim I own. I don't think any scientist can do their
thing at a high level without fully participating in the complete
sharing of ideas. For people who want to be in business and make
money with SW, I think the best routes have to do with selling
various kinds of services around the SW (from documentation to
talking about it to handholding and upwards).

And, there is the little matter of making something worthwhile, free
or not, before trying to look for marketable routes ...

Cheers,

Alan

------