Freeing Squeak (license-wise)

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Fri Mar 14 16:54:25 UTC 2003

See my other note about the difference between "possibilities" and
"probabilities" ..

At 5:33 PM +0100 3/14/03, Cees de Groot wrote:
>	protocol="application/pgp-signature"; boundary="=-t3T9NJ4kgboou6Gzzd9s"
>
>On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 17:18, Alan Kay wrote:
>>  Now you are closer to my sentiments ...
>>
>Hey, there's a wide gap in what I think as a private person and how I
>act as a business guy. When wearing the latter hat, statements I
>completely support otherwise like:
>
>>  I do think that the concept of IP (for software at least -- any many
>>  other areas as well) has completely broken down.
>
>simply are useless information. A business is firmly entrenched in a
>legal system,

But which one and with which loopholes and with which resources, etc.?

>  and the risk that the Mouse will knock on my door with a
>demand for gobs of money for the privilege to use Squeak, or whatever,
>is real.

Your chance of being seriously injured in an automobile accident is
quite likely much higher ...

>Whatever I think of it, it's reality.

No, it's just your perception of what's going on. The real question
about dealing with reality is what are the tradeoffs between actual
risks and actual payoffs. Close attention to the meaning of "actual"
makes decision making easier.

Cheers,

Alan