Freeing Squeak (license-wise)

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Fri Mar 14 22:17:07 UTC 2003

There have been some interesting, valid and true points made in this
thread from a variety of different perspectives.

Most all of us here would like to see Squeak with a cleaner (language)
and freer license. The license we currently have is not bad, but has
some ugly spots.

As Alan, Andrew and others have maintained Apple, Disney, and whomever
copyright holder can pursue legal action against Squeak regardless of
license or language in the license or even merit.

As Alan also states this is a true situation regardless of development
language, environment or system you choose to develop or base a business
upon.

Even though this is the case, most here would still like to see a better
license. However there are probably wise and prudent steps towards that
goal.

Despite what Apple et al can do, with regard to Squeak we have no reason
to believe they will do. Currently there is little to gain. IMO.
Maybe naively, I don't see them as the bad guys.

The worst case scenario has been stated.
I personally don't see that happening. At least I hope not.

An offer to form a Foundation with Yet Another Society.
And there still is the opportunity to form our own non-profit corp or
foundation. Whichever direction the community thinks is best.

It has also been stated that a significant part of Squeak has been
authored externally from Apple or Disney.

It seems that to me a prudent course of action to accomplish the goals
we want could be something like this...
(number does not form order, merely a list)

1. Form a Foundation which can be the maintainer of a new Squeak license
and copyright holder for code individual or corporations which to assign.

2. Create a new license for the direction we would like Squeak to move.
New code and code with which the copyright holders would like to change
over to.

3. As we strip the image and move towards SM and the new 3.6+ images,
ascertain ownership of code and work towards relicensing as much code as
possible with the new license.

4. Know what code remains under the existing SqL either via Apple or Disney.

5. Contact Apple to make effort to relicense, preferably with the new
community license. Disney too, as necessary.

6. If relicensing is successful, enjoy.
    If not, work towards using Squeak to bootstrap the new community
licensed version.

7. Enjoy Squeak regardless.
    We cannot control or predict Apple or Disney.
    The likelihood of action via Apple or Disney is probably low.
    (As Alan said?)
    We can control how we proceed from here to get to where we want to go.

Am I assessing the situation accurately?
Does this sound like a reasonable course of action?
Am I forgetting anything?

There is much we can do. There is much we are in control of.
Lets be positively proactive and work towards the end we want.

We can work towards much of the above while Cees awaits replys from his
contacts at Apple. If further discussions are then needed we can be in a
better position.

Thoughts, opinions. :)

Jimmie Houchin