We Need a *Squeak* License!

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Sat Mar 15 08:30:56 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 06:11, William Cole wrote:
>  If I do not assert my right of
> unreasonable search and seizure, then the search and its results are
> considered legal, even if afterwards I decide that the cops went
> overboard.
I'm glad I live in a civilized country where this doesn't hold. I really
wonder whether it holds in the USA

> Now look at "assertion" in Business Law.  If I am the copyright holder of
> the name "McDonalds", and someone opens a competing establishment of the
> same name, I am required to legally enforce my copyright if I wish it to
> remain in-force.

You are mixing up copyright and trade mark law here. Trademarks need to
be asserted, copyrights - to the best of my knowledge - not.

And I don't follow your arguments why the Squeak-L should, from its
wording alone, not be a valid license. That's completely new to me.