[Q]Release pipeline (was: Moving ahead (was re: release scope names)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Sun Mar 16 15:23:39 UTC 2003

Hannes Hirzel <hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch> wrote:
> goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> > 3. The pipeline (stable, testing, unstable). According to KISS I would
> > like to simply adopt the names that Debian use. Many people know Debian
> > and the names are pretty good.
>
> Is this in analogy to Craig Latta's  alpha - beta - gamma?

Well, no - this is different. I think. Alpha/beta/gamma is normally used
to describe phases in development. First you are in alpha, then things
get better, you move over into beta, finally gamma etc. The pipeline is
about having three concurrent "package pools".

You can track testing while I track unstable, etc. It's also different
in the way that these three concurrent versions of Squeak evolve:

Unstable is perpetually shaky with no real visible cycle at all.

Testing is sortof the staging area for stable. This is where the
hardened packages from unstable are put together eventually forming the
new stable. Testing has a cycle - here we could use the labels
alpha/beta/gamma to describe how close we are to pronouncing testing as
being the new stable.

Stable itself is static. The only thing happening is an occasional burst
of important bugfixes or security fixes.

> -- Hannes

regards, Göran