Moving ahead (was re: release scope names (was "Kernel/Coder/Carnival"))

Christian Hofer Christian.Hofer at gmx.de
Mon Mar 17 16:39:05 UTC 2003

> Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin at texoma.net> wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > Unstable is the alpha, bleeding edge version. Always in development
> > incorporating the most recent software. It is named Sid due to the
> > character named Sid in the movie. I don't remember but Sid must have
> > been an unstable character. Unstable never changes names, it is always
> > Sid, because Sid is always unstable. :)
>
> You are right - I got it wrong. Sid is always unstable. It it testing
> that is currently called Sarge.
> Sorry for any confusion.
>
> regards, Göran

I don't think you should feel sorry. You proved an important point: it is
just hard to get it right! There are three names, so one should be able to
either suppose that these names refer to the current and forthcoming releases, or
that they are speaking names for the attributes "stable", "testing",
"unstable". But neither is the case. The naming is obviously inconsistent. I am
quite new to Smalltalk, but I preferred Java over C and I tend to prefer
Smalltalk over Java, because you can express things more clearly. This spirit should
- in my opinion - be extended to version names as well.

Christian