Squeak History

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Mon Mar 17 17:17:25 UTC 2003

Thanks Alan.

Alan Kay wrote:
> At 9:05 AM -0600 3/17/03, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>> What is the history of corporate sponsorship of Squeak Central?
>>
>> What are the dates they were at Apple?
>
> Squeak coding was started at Apple in early Jan 1996
>>
>> What are the dates they were at Disney?
>
> Oct-Nov 1996 to Spring 2001

Wow!  I wouldn't have thought y'all were at Apple such a brief time. Was
the Squeak project the start and finish of Smalltalk at Apple?

>> What was the date Squeak was released into open source?
>
> Sept 1996

 From the license it seems as if Squeak was pre 1.0.
Is that accurate?

>> I haven't searched extensively, but I have taken a look at minnow and
>> squeak.org.
>>
>> I think this would be good information to have on the swiki or
>> squeak.org website to document additional history of squeak.
>
> Some of this is probably in the "Back To The Future" paper ...

Yes some of it is. It mentions some dates but it wasn't clear to me when
you started at Apple etc.

For those interested a link to "Back to the Future"
ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html

Also the first post to comp.lang.smalltalk dated
Date: 1996/10/01
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1985

I guess y'all were about to transition from Apple to Disney about the
time it was posted.

Thanks for the information.

Jimmie Houchin