Squeak History

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen_Wirfs-Brock at Instantiations.com
Mon Mar 17 19:03:24 UTC 2003

At 10:30 AM 3/17/2003 -0800, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> > Just curious:
> > How much RAM did that system have and roughly how many classes did the
> > image have you were working with?
>Almost none and very few. The Magnolia was a predecessor of the
>commercial 4404 which had a massive 1Mb of ram. And a stunningly fast
>8MHz 68000 cpu.

Actually, the 4404 (which was announced in July 1984 and shipped in Jan 85)
had a 10Mhz 68010 (it had a virtual memory OS which plan 68000s did not
support).  It was available in 1 and 2 MB configurations.  Smalltalk ran ok
in 1 MB but for "large" projects 2MB was preferable.

Tektronix Smalltalk was based upon Smalltalk-80 Version 2 and my
recollection was that the initial Tektronix release had about 250 classes.

I presume that Squeak was based upon Smalltalk-80 Version 1 as that was
what was originally licensed to Apple (along with Tek, Dec, and HP). As far
as I could tell, the primary reason for ST-80 V2 was the Xerox realized
that the V1 license terms were, from their perspective,  way too favorable
to the licensees. V2 provided an opportunity for them to revise the
license.  There were a number of times at Tektronix that we regretted
having updated to the V2 image and license.

Allen Wirfs-Brock