Parallel release streams - Debian and Squeak scheme

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Mon Mar 17 19:52:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 16:34, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> Another difference is that in Debian - which is package centric - I can
> actually run stable and then pick cherries from testing.

It's probably good for perspective to note that Debian has one big
monolithic pool of package distribution files, everything mixed up (of
course all with version numbers in their names), and that *separate*
files having a function not completely unlike SqueakMap decide what
packages of the pool go into stable, testing, or unstable.

So, simply by pointing to another 'software map' you can tell Debian to
go upgrade itself - the basic idea is that you install 'stable', decide
that too much old hat is in there, and thus point your installation to
'testing'. Then, a magic spell ('apt-get dist-upgrade') will cause your
system to upgrade itself by moving current packages to the versions
indicated on the new map. Of course, possibly new dependencies are
pulled in and conflicts are duly reported.

Also note that Debian has built quite an infrastructure to handle the
task of maintaining these three release levels with just volunteers.
It's not something I see happening in Squeak tomorrow ;-)