Squeak History... don't forget the Levco Prodigy! :-)

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at san.rr.com
Tue Mar 18 04:03:58 UTC 2003

> 	While reflecting on the early days of Smalltalk, let's not forget the
> contribution of the San Diego-based Levco company -- Duane 'Squeaky'
> Maxwell
> being among the intrepid band of engineers who worked magic showing
> Apple
> the way. The Levco Prodigy 4 was a ground-breaking, price-busting
> machine on
> many levels.

Just for the record, nobody calls me "Squeaky".  Well, except maybe
Jim, just now.  I understand the US Secret Service gets very nervous
about people with the name "Squeaky", particularly the old-timers.

I moved recently, and I ran across the little stack of floppies for
Apple Smalltalk-80, though I think I may have been missing one.  I
think I may even have a Mac lying around that can still read 800K
floppies - I may even have a Mac SE in the garage that might run it.

Hmmm....

-- Duane

PS.  I don't think we ever successfully sold a Prodigy upgrade for $10K
- but there were a lot sold at $5K.