Squeak History... don't forget the Levco Prodigy! :-)

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at asterix.unibe.ch
Tue Mar 18 07:59:29 UTC 2003

Hi all

Thanks for all these notes.
While reading them, I was thinking that they could make a really
fascinating book.
Dealer of lightning is good but a book really focused on the Smalltalk
pionners would be really
interesting. May be collecting all the material into a dedicated wiki
would be a first step.

Stef

I know that inventing the future is more fun that chatting about the
past but still...

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 08:40 AM, Dan Ingalls wrote:

> "Sohodojo Jim" <salmons at sohodojo.com> wrote...
>> 	A 16 MHz 68020, with a math coprocessor, 4 MB of contiguous RAM
>> (man, we
>> thought we were flying when the most memory we had in our Fat Mac
>> prior to
>> the Prodigy was 512K!)... and the first commercial SCSI hard drive
>> interface
>> (our first Prodigy had a whooping 10 MB INTERNAL hard drive... that's
>> right,
>> the Levco guys figured out how to safely and effectively fit the
>> Prodigy
>> daughterboard AND a 'chimney-based' internal hard drive into the
>> original
>> Mac case!)... This was truly an amazing and groundbreaking machine.
>
> Yes, there was definitely something magical about this level of
> performance.  We had the same experience inside Apple when we got hold
> of a couple of prototype "Big Macs" built by Rich Page that coupled a
> 16Mhz 68020 to a 1024x768 (monochrome) display.  Until this time, much
> of our Smalltalk and UI work was guided by a sort of intuition about
> what should be simple and what not, but always we were sort of
> drumming our fingers waiting for the processor to complete these
> wonderfully streamlined operations (things like find all senders, add
> an instance variable, etc), and unable to really use more than a
> couple of windows on screens smaller than VGA.
>
> Then, suddenly, all the design for interaction paid off almost
> overnight,with the arrival of that next generation of hardware.  It
> was heady stuff.  I remember Scott Wallace was doing a lot of the
> heavy work on Fabrik in our group at the time.  He would typically
> work at home for a day or two and then come in to compare notes and
> exchange a demo or two.  When he got his Big Mac, he simply didn't
> come in or call in for two weeks.  Finally I called his home just to
> check that he was OK, and found him nearly expired.  As I recall he
> said something like, although we had built this incredible system in
> which you could literally change anything and keep running, until that
> time processor speed  and screen real estate had kept our ambitions in
> check.  Now, at a single stroke, those barriers had simply vanished,
> and we could just go on doing one thing after another with nothing to
> hold us back except, ultimately, our ability to stay awake.
>
> 	- Dan

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch)
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: www.squeak.org,
www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html