Squeak on Zaurus SL-C700?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Tue Mar 18 09:11:50 UTC 2003

Hi,

My Nokia Communicator broke down (yeah!) so now I have to find another
way to stay connected to my machines while on the road (even more
important now that we are boasting that we made the top50 of
www.netcraft.com's list of sites with longest uptimes ;-)).

One of the devices I'm looking at is the SL-C700 (that's a PDA with a
VGA screen and a keyboard). However, it's a bit awkward to order one
from here - Sharp doesn't sell them outside .jp, so I have to order
through a .us company that takes care of 'anglofying' the device. One of
the issues that would help me decide favorably is whether Squeak runs on
this device. I noted various scribbles on the (probably 100% compatible)
5500 model, but they are a bit short on information (the 5500 is another
contender, the Clie Z90 is the final candidate on my shortlist - as you
can see, I insist on a keyboard, scribbling your way through an ssh
session is just too much trouble).

Does Squeak run reliably on the Zaurus by now? Anyone running it on the
700? If not, would anyone expect trouble doing so?

(http://www.dynamism.com/zaurus/index.shtml has more info on the device)