Squeak on Zaurus SL-C700?

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Tue Mar 18 09:27:58 UTC 2003

  Hi, Cees,

> One of the devices I'm looking at is the SL-C700 (that's a PDA with a
> VGA screen and a keyboard). However, it's a bit awkward to order one
> from here - Sharp doesn't sell them outside .jp, so I have to order
> through a .us company that takes care of 'anglofying' the device. One of
> the issues that would help me decide favorably is whether Squeak runs on
> this device. I noted various scribbles on the (probably 100% compatible)
> 5500 model, but they are a bit short on information (the 5500 is another
> contender, the Clie Z90 is the final candidate on my shortlist - as you
> can see, I insist on a keyboard, scribbling your way through an ssh
> session is just too much trouble).
>
> Does Squeak run reliably on the Zaurus by now? Anyone running it on the
> 700? If not, would anyone expect trouble doing so?

  I've been working on the port, and the current status of of it is
that the VM is barely enough to do some simple benchmarks.

  As expected, it is kind of slow: the sends/sec number is about 30%
slower than 206MHz StrongARMs and display update is slower because the
"direct framebuffer access" mechanism doesn't expose a pointer to the
actual framebuffer because the screen have to be rotated by the OS
based on the screen orientation.

  The coming PXA 255 is supposed to be a bit faster than current PXA
250.  Let's hope this new chip will make some improvement.

  I believe that the other flavors of VM ports for Embedix on SL-5500
should work with very little modification.

-- Yoshiki

P.S.
  As for the Squeak-ja archive problem, there appears that the INSTALL
document is somewhat wrong.  It sounds like the site has to have a
list called "mailman" before any other list.  I'm not sure this is the
problem we have, but upgrading to 2.1.1 and making sure to follow the
right step will hopefully fix the problem.