Squeak History / Tiny Machines

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen_Wirfs-Brock at Instantiations.com
Wed Mar 19 00:22:43 UTC 2003

At 02:24 PM 3/18/2003 -0800, Alan Kay wrote:

>>Though to be fair, Intel did have the iAPX432 (even if it
>>has been purged from their official history).
>
>This was the "omelette to clean the pan" -- as with most of these
>attempts, the first one tries to optimize too many things before there is
>enough actual programming experience (we were extremely fortunate at PARC
>that we had already buried our learning curve mistakes in the 60s, so PARC
>was "phase 2"). The 432 was a bad architecture -- but it's too bad that
>Intel didn't try to do this again with a simpler more powerful POV.

Actually, I believe that they did. However, it also failed. Intel form a
joint venture with (I think) Siemens call Biin that was essentially a
follow on to the 432 work.  My understanding is that the i860 processor
family came out of that effort after Biin, itself was aborted.  The i860
was a RISC based processor that ended up being mostly used in embedded
applications.  However, if you looked closely at the architecture there
were strange and interesting features that, if enabled, would be useful in
building a capability based system.

Allen Wirfs-Brock