Squeak in robotics

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Mar 19 10:45:09 UTC 2003

Hi rick

alex and another guy here are improving what they did for controling
legomindstorm
may be it would be worth to put energy together.

bergel at iam.unibe.ch

On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 11:22 AM, Rick Zaccone wrote:

>> Hello squeak list.
>> My name is Johannes and I just subscribed to the list. Hope I can
>> find it
>> useful. I'm currently working on a project in robotics at Queensland
>> University of Technology, Australia. The idea of the project is to use
>> Squeak as a base for programming smart devices in a distributed
>> manner.
>> Squeaks dynamic and effective OO properties makes it suitable for this
>> topic, and the open source and portability are also important. The
>> only
>> problem is that Squeak is sequential and does not work in a
>> distributed
>> manner. Hopefully my work will result in a Squeak version that's
>> possible
>> to run distributed and fully concurrent, for you people to enjoy. And
>> of
>> course a port that's suposed to be used in embedded devices.
>> I will probably run in to questions along the way and hope it's ok to
>> throw
>> them out here.
>> I got the first one here, and I'm wondering whether there has been
>> any work
>> with Squeak related to my work, and related to the earlier tries with
>> 'Concurrent Smalltalk' and various distributed Smalltalk ideas?
>
> I have a student who is working on a Squeak port of the Bot-Kit
> <http://www.object-arts.com/Bower/Bot-Kit/>.  He is making good
> progress and I hope to have something to release to this list within
> the next 3 weeks (rough estimate).
>
> Rick

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch)
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: www.squeak.org,
www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html