Freeing Squeak (license-wise)

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Tue Mar 18 18:32:27 UTC 2003

["Alan's lifework"]
Good, that was the same concern that was bothering me.

If that's not the problem, I'll reiterate that the problems we face with
the current situation are two -
1. IP concerns as a risk (which as Alan has mentioned, it's always a
risk)
2. DFGS/OSI incompatible license as blocking us from many of the best
ways of
 A. Bringing Squeak to a wider audience
 B. Bringing more open source hackers to Squeak

I think this is a good motivation to go the way Jimmie proposes.

A few comments about the specific steps -

> 1. Form a Foundation which can be the maintainer of a new Squeak license
> and copyright holder for code individual or corporations which to assign.
Agreed. About YAS - I haven't found any description of it's copyright
holding functions. URL?

> 2. Create a new license for the direction we would like Squeak to move.
> New code and code with which the copyright holders would like to change
> over to.
Please, let's NOT make a license, but select one. Or many. It could be a
good idea to select many licenses if we do this prior to some
negotiation with Apple, in order to keep our options open.

> 3. As we strip the image and move towards SM and the new 3.6+ images,
> ascertain ownership of code and work towards relicensing as much code as
> possible with the new license.
> 4. Know what code remains under the existing SqL either via Apple or Disney.
Ok, any concrete suggestions on how we do this?

> 5. Contact Apple to make effort to relicense, preferably with the new
> community license. Disney too, as necessary.
> 6. If relicensing is successful, enjoy.
>     If not, work towards using Squeak to bootstrap the new community
> licensed version.
That is, make a new kernel that is able to load the same SM packages.
This requires