oo hardware (was: Why so few garage processors?)

Swan, Dean Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Fri Mar 21 20:00:54 UTC 2003

Richard,

	The NIOS is a synthesizable IP core for Altera FPGAs
i.e. It is simply a CPU that can be implemented on an FPGA.
There is no "NIOS chip" that is a hardwired CPU plus FPGA,
although there are a number of chips that fit this description.
The NIOS can be implemented on any sufficiently large Altera
FPGA.

Atmel has a device they call "FPSLIC" (Field Programmable
System Level Integrated Circuit) That includes a 20 MIPS AVR
RISC, 36K bytes of SRAM and up to 40K gates of programmable logic.

Xilinx has the Virtex II Pro FPGA which includes a 400 MHz
IBM PowerPC up to 10 Mbits of embedded block RAM, and a *lot*
of programmable logic resources.  These are pretty expensive
though.

				-Dean