renegotiating with Xerox or another licensee (was "Closure Compiler")

Craig Latta craig.latta at netjam.org
Wed Mar 26 11:34:31 UTC 2003

Hi Andrew--

> Can we get a license to rebuild Squeak from the Smalltalk-80 folks at
> Xerox...

	It seems doubtful, since their motivation with the ST80 v1 license was
to get companies to review the Blue Book, and the v2 license was
intentionally more restrictive. Also, I don't think there are actually
any Smalltalk-80 folks left there. :)

> ...or another licensee, or is that crazy naive?

	I wouldn't rule it out. :)  Actually, it'd be an interesting irony to
negotiate something with HP (another v1 licensee and Blue Book
reviewer), after all their employees' officially-disclaimed comments in
the Green Book about how Smalltalk has no future. :)

-C

--
Craig Latta
http://netjam.org/resume