[ANN] Closure Compiler

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Mar 26 17:39:01 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 26 March 2003 12:28 am, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> I think the following pillars are important for the discussion:
>
> 1. SM should allow packages under different licenses. Right?
> 2. Distros will be practically possible with SM1.1 using load
> scripts.
>
> Obviously the "load script maker" will need to take care what
> licenses the included packages are under - at least as a service to
> the users of the load script. A load script is just an automated
> way of installing packages from SM. It is not a distributed image.

I thought Andrew was warning against having conflicting licenses
*anywhere* in SM (especially GPL).

He had talked to RMS who thought that our situation was more like
using library routines than loading programs into an operating system
(and therefore loading a SM package that was under the GPL would
infect all of Squeak).

This is what Andrew said yesterday:
----------- cut -----------
Be careful about the suggestion that we can survive well with a
Squeak-L main distro and various distributions under other licenses.
This probably (almost certainly) isn't so.

Some licenses (Squeak-L and GPL, for example) do not mix, and using
one
licenses for a distro and another for distributed code, however
comforting it may make one feel "technically speaking," is legally a
recipe for disaster.  While some of my lay colleagues on this list
disagree with me on this point, I can only suggest that a Squeakmap
comprising incompatible licenses distributed for inclusion in the
monolithinc image is a killer problem.

We have looked into this before, tried to negotiate with FSF for a
compromise, and it is presently their position that loading code into
our image is NOT legally equivalent under GPL to loading an
application
onto a computer with an operating system -- indeed, he goes further,
considering it to be the same as merging libraries into a single app.
I have spoken with RMS on this myself, and he is not sanguine about
letting things lie -- he doesn't want images to be mixed unless they
are all GPL, and he considers the entire image to be GPL'd by the
programs using GPL'd dynamic libraries on an operating system with
applications not GPL'd, by the way.)

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com