Building runtime images

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Mar 26 22:09:03 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 26 March 2003 01:27 pm, Jon Hylands wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> A while back, someone posted a changeset that disabled a bunch of
> stuff in the Squeak development environment to allow runtime images
> to be deployed with halos disabled, the world menu disabled, and a
> bunch of stuff like that.
>
> I found a message on the list that says the following:
>
> 	Smalltalk garbageCollect.
> 	Preferences
> 	        disable: #cmdDotEnabled;
>         	compileHardCodedPref: #cmdGesturesEnabled enable: false;
>         	compileHardCodedPref: #cmdKeysInText enable: false;
>         	enable: #noviceMode.
>
> but it doesn't seem to disable halos, at least not on a
> three-button mouse. It also doesn't disable the world menu.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers?

Hi Jon,

I guess you've already seen the Swiki page that deals with this:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/778

Back in October of last year I posted the DisablePrgmr-nk changeset,
which automates much of this process.

http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/2696.html

This is from the preamble:

This change set makes it easier to lock down an image for application
delivery.

By executing:
        Preferences disableProgrammerFacilities
from your personalized World menu and saving the locked image under a
new name, the following features are disabled:

* Halos
* Meta and Debug menus
* Command keys in world
* Command-dot interrupts
* Debuggers (though notifiers will still come up)
* World menu (from mouse or key)
* Command keys other than editing & cursor in text

The yellow-button menus in text panes will still come up.
It is assumed that text panes in your app will have their own
yellow-button menus.

Two existing preferences have been made available in the Preferences
tool:
cmdKeysInText           -- enables the use of many cmd (or alt) keys
in text
editors
cmdGesturesEnabled      -- enables halos, debug menus, etc.

Another two new preferences have been added:
appendToErrorLog        -- appends to the error log rather than
replacing it
noDebugButton           -- suppress the ability to open a debugger
from a
notifier

You can add this to your personalized World menu:
        aMenu add: 'disable pgrmr' target: Preferences action:
#disableProgrammerFacilities.

Or you can add:
        Preferences disableProgrammerFacilities

to your do... menu list.