[ANN] Closure Compiler

Swan, Dean Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Thu Mar 27 00:52:44 UTC 2003

Hi Andreas,

	Well, quite honestly, I have no issues with Squeak's
current licensing, so I only care that nobody does anything
to make it worse.  GPL infection would be worse, as would
a more restrictive license, but I am perfectly satisfied
with the existing license, so I do really just wish that
people would take Alan Kay's advice and not worry about it.

	Regarding Disney and Michael's lawyers, I agree.  He
is a shrewd business man, not to be taken lightly, however
the word "Disney" does not appear in the Squeak License
anywhere.

	Also, I assume that Disney acquired Squeak under the
Squeak License?  So things done at Disney qualify as
"Modified Software", but with respect to the "existing
class objects or their existing relationships", or "any part
of the virtual machine", I'm not sure that everything added
to "official" Squeak at Disney is subject to the "must be
made publicly available".  It seems that Disney is content
to treat all of what is in the "official" Squeak images as
being subject to that clause, so I think we should just count
our blessings and move on.

	IMO, Squeak is a wonderful gift to the world, and
"looking a gift horse in the mouth" is generally to be
considered impolite at best.

					-Dean