[ANN] Closure Compiler

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Thu Mar 27 04:18:49 UTC 2003

Hello Dean,

My apologies if I sounded offended. My general policy is not to take
offense even if offense was intended. I did feel the message was
somewhat unnecessarily antagonistic.

In the context I felt negotiation was used as a negative term. It still
feels that way to me. As I said negotiation might technically be
correct, but inaccurate concerning the spirit of my usage of dialogue. I
don't consider myself in negotiations when I discuss what's for dinner
with my wife even tho' that too would technically qualify.

My perspective is simple.

If possible I think it would be nice for Squeak to have the best license
it can. The Squeak-L is reasonably acceptable and reasonably free.

I don't view Apple as the enemy or bad guy. I don't view Disney that way
either. They both have large staffs of attorneys and are not shy about
legal engagements. I just don't believe we are on their radar for such.
There would be little to gain. I don't think Apple would really revoke
the license. I am not necessarily convinced they can. But they could try.

Apple freely received from Xerox a generous license for Smalltalk-80.
Apple freely gave to the Squeak community, Squeak with a generous license.

I read little in the way of Apple's desire for control in the Squeak
License. I read much in Apple's desire for protection.

Apple (and Disney) has exercised no control over Squeak after releasing
it. Neither has shown a desire to do so. At least that is my
understanding or view.

I think a new license which is cleaner and more accurate in representing
Squeak could be just as protective of Apple.

I view approaching Apple as one approaches a generous benefactor or
patron. We have not been a burden upon Apple. We would like to
graciously ask a favor.

I really believe we only have to gain. I believe status quo is the worst
case scenario. I may be alone in that. If so, I'll concede and go with
community consenses. I'll shut up and do my best to leave license talks
alone. :)

I may be a Pollyanna, but I see no reason to fear.

Jimmie Houchin

[snip]