midi composing in squeak

Ed Heil edheil at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 27 17:46:53 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 12:24, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
> What actions did you perform?
> It would be helpful to have a Swiki entry on this (just a draft)

> Could you elaborate a bit more what you did and where you are stuck?
> I vaguely remember that there was a project done by a student of Mark
> Guzdial going along the same lines.

I started with the Squeak image from Squeakland.org.  Opened the
Supplies flap and pulled out an Object Catalog.  Went to Multimedia.
Pulled out a ScorePlayer.  It's empty.  No instruments.  How do I give
it an instrument?

I can hit "Piano Roll" and get a piano roll.  I can click on that and
"add keyboard".  But playing the keyboard does not add any notes to the
piano roll.  Presumably because there are no voices/instruments in the
piece?

If on the other hand I open a midi file, of course I have instruments
(all oboe1 by default).  There I can open a piano roll and interact with
it: to wit, I can grab a note and move it up or down interacitvely, and
if I "add keyboard" the notes I play get inserted as "instrument 1"
notes.  Although even there, I don't know how to add notes for other
voices/instruments.

Ed Heil                                      edheil at fastmail.fm
 "Observe the monkeys from the distance.
  Do not stare them in the eyes.
  Do not put your hands out or try to touch them.
  Do not show or give food to monkeys."
 http://gojapan.about.com/library/special/blmonkey.htm