How to pick an ARM processor (was Re: Porting Squeak to SH4)

Frank Sergeant frank at canyon-medical.com
Fri Mar 28 02:01:28 UTC 2003

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Then again, what on earth are you doing wasting time on a dumb SH4?
> Get an ARM. :-)

I've been doing some embedded system work with the Hitachi H8/532 but
have been thinking about possibly switching to the ARM.  Very low power
is my main goal but if I could get that and also have a 32-bit CPU that
would be a great combination.  Do you have any thoughts about how to go
about deciding /which/ ARM variant to use and which manufacturer?  There
seem to be a confusing variety of them.

-- Frank