[OT] XML technology as general data store in programs ?

Markus Fritsche Fritsche.Markus at gmx.net
Fri Mar 28 19:36:43 UTC 2003

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

>HNBeck at t-online.de (Hans Nikolaus Beck) wrote:
>

>>because this list are many people which are close to computer science
>>research ;-) , I would ask here:
>>would it by a design option to use XML and related standards as a
>>general technology for storing data in programs ?
>>

>Well, having worked with relational databases, objectoriented databases
>and a fair bit of XML I would say that XML is fine for:
>
>1. Establishing "language neutral ground". Like people are doing with
>SOAP and document formats using XML.

Hmm, from my point of view (not very experienced), I would say: hold
your data in whatever form is best supported by your development tools
(oodb, rdb, object memory), use the advantage in speed and size. If you
have the need to interconnect, build xml-on-the-fly. Like the XP-way: no
futureoriented features... :-)

Regards, Markus