Introduction to Squeak?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Mar 28 23:08:55 UTC 2003

Hi Jen,

It depends a little bit on what exactly you want to do but Mark's books
would still be my first recommendation. Even though some parts may be a
little outdated by now (not very many actually) it will give you a very good
idea about how to build things with Squeak. I'd actually use it with the
Squeak version which is on the CDs - this will make sure that it ought to
work. In fact, those versions might be sufficient for what you're planning
(as I don't know what your project is about). If not, it would probably be
best to ask for help on this list - people are pretty quick with answers and
generally very friendly here.

And by the way, if you are looking for general information about the
language and OOP in general, be sure to check out Stef's collection of free
books about Smalltalk
(http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/WebPages/FreeBooks.html) - even if they're
not discussing the latest technology in Squeak some of them are excellent
books on general programming issues (and they only cost you download time ;)

Good luck!
  - Andreas