Scamper removal

Adam Spitz aspitz at student.math.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Mar 29 15:14:07 UTC 2003

Has anybody been working on removing Scamper from the image? (I did a
quick search of the places that I forgot to search when I asked about
Celeste, but didn't find anything.) If not, here's a first cut at it:

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/uploads/14/ScamperRemoval.sar
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/uploads/14/ScamperInstall.sar

A few notes:

- I'm removing all the stuff in the Network-HTML* categories (like the
HTML parser), as well as Scamper itself. Eventually we'll probably want
to split them into separate packages, but that can be done by whoever
ends up being the package maintainer.

- I've gotta be missing something, because I'm ending up with a couple
of obsolete classes (AnObsoleteHtmlParser class and AnObsoleteScamper
class) being left in the image. I don't know how to fix this.

- There are, I believe, six external references (in the stock 3.4 image)
to the classes I'm removing. Two of these are in the mail stuff; we can
deal with them in the Celeste removal/installation packages. The other
four are in code that just wants to be able to open a web browser. I'm
not sure what the right thing is to do with those. For now I've done
something similar to what Daniel did with Celeste: I left a little tiny
class called WebBrowser in the image, which allows web browser packages
to register themselves with it. So if you're writing some unrelated
package and you want to be able to open a web browser, you can write
"WebBrowser preferred" instead of "Scamper", and if there's no web
browser registered you'll get a little message saying so.

What else have I missed?

Adam Spitz