Ideas, Experiences required for changes managements

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Mar 30 09:13:29 UTC 2003

Hi

In the context of the Kernel Cleaning Project we are facing problems
related to change management. While the idea and the tool provided by
diego are cool
they do not scale up well. Publishing one change one by one is not fast
enough. Then when you have multiple versions of the change changeset,
SWiki only shows the last one so this is nearly impossible to roll-back
to a previous version (I mean I do not want to be forced to browse the
upload directory and guess, I want a real way of managing a version).

So before hacking yet another solution we wanted to know how others are
doing.
ideally we would like to have a place where all the changes can be
versioned at once
so we thought of using cvs, but we want that other can contribute so is
source forge easy to use, adequate for this project?
For supporting external reviewing process we could generate a web page
from the files in the cvs. I think that we should have real tools if we
want to move fast.

Avi I understood that you used sourceforge for storing SeaSide code.
Could you tell us more?

Stef

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html