Running Squeak apps off the net

Brian Brown rbb at techgame.net
Mon Mar 31 17:16:52 UTC 2003

On Sunday 30 March 2003 05:45 pm, jennyw wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 01:41:39PM -0800, Ned Konz wrote:
> > Yes, this works.
> >
> > There are two modes for this.
> >
> > First, you can run Squeak inside a web browser. Look at
> > www.squeakland.org for a quick installation. You have a Squeak image
> > and VM (as a browser plugin), and then you can run Squeak projects
> > that are on the net.
>
> Hmm, not exactly what I was thinking of, but I guess that works.  That's
> not something that's unique to Squeak, though, is it? Java applets would
> work the same way, without a plugin.

This is essentially not true... you have to have Java installed on your
machine, which does install plugins in  your browsers.  The main difference
for a lot of users is many platform distributions do have it pre-installed,
and they have to download the Squeak plugin separately, like they might have
to with new versions of Flash or shockwave.

> > Second, you can load and run external projects.
> >
> > You're probably safer using the browser plugin, though; there's a
> > security model that it implements that makes it more difficult to
> > damage anything on your machine.
>
> You mean via SqueakMap? Or is there a way to provide a URL or something to
> a Squeak project?  I assume the security model thing is something that's
> being worked on in regular Squeak, too, not just the plugin?

Yes, you can provide a URL for a Squeak project... you can also load and
*save* projects to an ftp site for example.

> What would be really neat for me is to be able to run an app. that will
> always update itself to the newest version -- ideally not in a Web browser.

Essentially you are talking about running an "app" (project or what have you)
but not having a local copy of it, right? Like a citrix type solution, or
having local user specific data storage while the app itself is hosted on the
net?

> Thanks!
>
> Jen

HTH,