What is supposed to be the effect of DisplayScreen class>depth:width:height:fullscreen: ?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Mar 31 18:55:26 UTC 2003

This is a very curious primitive.
First, there are no senders so I have to wonder if it is actually of any
value.

Secondly, just what is it supposed to do? Setting the fullscreen flag to
true and the width or height to some number not equal to the full screen
size does what exactly? Should the prim ignore w & if fullscreen = true?
Setting the depth should do what?  It can't set the depth of the Display
object  - that has to be done via methods like
DisplayScreen>setExtent:depth:. I suppose it could possibly set the
bitdepth of the OS window buffer (where one is used) but that seems like
it is private to the VM.

I can see a value in having a prim that programmatically sets the window
size (which is why I ended up looking at this) but I don't think this
prim is entirely suitable nor even properly defined nor even widely
implemented. Any thoughts anyone?

tim
Useful random insult:- Lightbulb over his head is burned out