[Q] Newbie - Multiple Return Values

Ingo Hohmann ingo at 2b1.de
Thu May 1 11:37:34 UTC 2003

Hi to all again,

for a network protocol I want to return to values from a function - the
payload of a message, and wether the message was tagged as being
successful or not.

What would be the best way to return those values?

- I thought about an instance variable for one of these, but there might
be multiple message pending.

- Using Exceptions for the an unsuccessful message would be misusing the
exception mechanism.

- And overloading the returnvalue - either an 'this was an error' value
_or_ the payload does not particularly please me either.

- Creating a new Class for this on the other hand seems to be quite an
overkill.

What's the best SmallTalk way to handle this?

Thanks,

Ingo