DVS doesn't show changes?

Eric Scharff scharffe at cs.colorado.edu
Fri May 2 15:59:07 UTC 2003

Recently having upgraded to 3.5, I finally wanted to start playing with
DVS.  The fileIn and fileOut features seem to work as expected, but the
"changes" choice doesn't seem to do anything.

Here's what I do

1. create two images in the same folder, im1 and im2
2. Switch to im1
3. Use the DVS package browser to create a new package - EFoo
4. Add some methods to the package
5. fileOut the package.  I notice that all the EFoo-* methods are in the
    resulting .st file.  So far so good.
6. Switch to im2
7. Load the EFoo package into the package browser
8. Great!  The classes are now there.
9. Modify the classes, add some methods, change some, ...
     Good, it has changed.
11. hit the "Changes" button, to compare the current version to the one
     on disk.
     IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING.  I get an empty message browser.
12. ok, well file-out the package.  Again, that works, and the changed
     things are in the resulting .st file.
13. switch back to im1
14, now, the version on disk is newer than the stuff in im1
15. I don't get any indication of changes from DVS
16. Again, hitting the "Changes" button doesn't do anything.
17. But, I can fileIn and it does properly add the methods.

The change features (of both CVS and DVS) are really important to me.
Otherwise, I'm just going to continue to use change sets since browsing
changes is so important.

Did I do something obviously stupid or wrong?

-Eric